Friday, August 8, 2008

Be My Escape

It seems that no matter your position or current place in life, you just have those days. You know the ones... where you spend half the day contemplating a dash to Mexico or dreaming of the grass on the other side of the fence. It doesn't really matter how amazingly blessed you realize you are, or the realities of said grass. Just sometimes the monotony, frustrations, and ruts of this grass just seem to be too much.

I tend to think of life in song. Is it the musical lover in me? Who knows... but this song has been my theme song the last couple of days:

And I've been housing all this doubt and insecurity
and I've been locked inside that house all the while You hold the key
And I've been dying to get out and that might be the death of me
And even though, there's no way in knowing where to go, promise I'm going because
I gotta get outta here
I'm stuck inside this rut that I fell into by mistake
I gotta get outta here
And I'm begging You, I'm begging You, I'm begging You to be my escape.
"Be My Escape" by Reliant K

It is the ruts we let ourselves fall into due to our own doubts, insecurities, and just plain listening to the voices in our own heads that get us here. It makes it to where we can't get past all this junk to enjoy the moment, or just realize that no matter what is going on in our lives we are more blessed than the millions of people grieving, starving, or fighting for their lives.

But we still need escape. God has promised to be our escape. I find myself half-praying these lyrics sometimes, begging God to rescue me from what I've created in my own life. Rescue me from myself. Its funny, though... I want him to just swoop in like Superman or Batman or something and fix it -- all the while I go on about my life making that same rut deeper and deeper. It occurred to me today... that just doesn't make sense.

It is up to us to make that first step. He does promise to be our escape. He's there ready, willing, and more than able... we just have to actually sit down and allow Him to do it. To open our minds and hearts and possibly break them down a bit. I have tried so many other forms of escape on those days -- Sonic runs, talking with friends, surfing the Internet, blogging... and they aren't bad things, really. But they are temporary fixes. I'm happy for a minute and then I spill the apple juice twice and drop the high chair tray on my foot. And it all goes away.

But those days I actually sit down with God and pray, read the Bible, and just think about the amazing life He's given me? Oh yes, that's an escape.

** I realize that this is a departure from our normal blogging program. I hope you've enjoyed it... but if you haven't, pictures and Mia-stories will return, I promise! **

No comments: